The Weekly membership newsletter of the
Kiwanis Club of Sand Lake, NY
P. O. Box 535, West Sand Lake, NY 12196
Meets 6:30 PM Mondays at The Lakeview Inn Restaurant
President Gerald Tysiak Secretary Peg Weiss
Vice President Gary Meislin Treasurer Robert S. Pasquarelli
Sandpiper Editor Jo Moccia Immediate Past Pres Joe Behson
Webmaster David E. Booker Photographer Jim Rogers
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Scott Paul, Ray Turner, William Whipple
Bryce E. Cutler, Skip Patton, James E. Rogers
John C. Brownrigg, James M. Colabelli, Eve M. Ward
Club Bulletin Committee
Jo Moccia, Chair
Jim Colabelli Pat Lane
MEETING OF MARCH 9th, 2009
PRESIDENT Gerald Tysiak presiding
GREETINGS & INVOCATION by Bob Pasquarelli
Steve Robellotto, Linda Ormsby, John Curtis,
John Keiley and a returning Paul Vincent
for his third visit as a prospective member.
1. Jim Rogers told us that PLG Cliff Southworth of the Castleton Club is home from the hospital and is in good spirits. We all look forward to having Cliff back with us. His wonderful smile just makes our world a brighter place.
2. Eve Ward told us of an excellent opportunity to help Doors of Hope. They are able to receive matching grants from the Feinstein Foundation for any money, in kind or monetary donations that they can receive by April 20. Eve has asked us to help by bringing any foods for their food pantry. They need peanut butter, tuna, canned fruits, unsweetened cereal, pasta, rice and any other sustainable foods that you can contribute. Eve will see that any that we bring will be delivered to Doors of Hope.
3. Division Council Meeting at Castleton on March 11. We are Meeting at Millerfords at 5:30 to car pool. Please join us. Signed up to attend are Dave Booker, Dale Hall, Bob Pasquarelli, Jim Rogers, Jerry Tysiak, Eve Ward, Barbara Fioravanti, Peg Weiss, Pat Lane and John Mulligan.
4. Rensselaer Club celebrates their 80th Anniversary on March 28, please note the change of date. Pres. Claire Dalton extends a warm and welcoming invite Let's make this an interclub. Those signed up to attend are Booker, Colabelli, Loveridge, Tysiak, Ward, Lane, Weiss, Davis and Rogers.
5. Dave is going out to the Pen Yan Anniversary on April 13. He is looking for other club members to join him.
6. North Greenbush is holding an All-U-Can Eat Breakfast at the American Legion Hall in Wynantskill on April 5 from 8 Am till 1 Pm.
7. Bill Whipple reminded us of the Senior Luncheon on March 12 at the Church of the Covenant Come help from 9:30 to 1:30.
8. The AMBI Blood Screening will be May 16,
9. John Brownrigg is still collecting playing cards for the soldiers in Afghanistan. Please bring any gently used cards for our soldiers.
10. Joe Behson announced that the date for the "DISAPATED 8" is April 18 at the high School at 8 pm.
11. Nancy W. Davis reminded us that the Doors of Hope gets another delivery on Tues. March 17. Come have a cup of coffee at the Java Beanery at 9 am and then help unload the truck.
12. The Girl Scouts will be here tonight to distribute the cookies that we all ordered in December.
13. Archie Robinson has donated a printer for the Computers for Youth Program.
14. Joe Behson is working to fill the slots for our upcoming election. If you have any interest in serving as an officer or director please call Joe.
PROGRAM: Rensselaer County’s Public Health’s Emergency Medical Reserve Corps Unit presented by Shelly Glock and Brenda Maccio.
(Left to right Nancy W. Davis, Program Chair, Brenda Maccio & Shelly Glock)
This is a group of Professional and volunteers whose primary purpose is to provide medical treatment in Rensselaer County in the event of the pandemic outbreak of a communicable disease or natural or man made emergency. They were utilized during the ice storm of December 11 and for the next five days. They have 11 pods (units filled with the necessary things in the event of an emergency) ready to roll at any time. They have identified places to set up triage units and also hold monthly training and planning meetings. The most important component are the Community Partners which range from Hospital, Emergency Management Organizations, Public Safety, Law Enforcement, Schools, Colleges, Faith Based Organizations, Service Organizations and Citizen Volunteers.
Needed are more citizen volunteers as the county only has 12 nurses on staff and the citizens are needed to check people in and to direct the traffic flow. If you are interested or want more information call 270-2645 and ask for either Shelly or Brenda.
$ Dale Hall for Nancy W. Davis bringing us the wonderful program tonight.
$ Barbara Fioravanti for John Mulligan stepping up and offering to help with the sponsored youth at A.P.H.S.
$ Jim Rogers 1. For great program
2. For john Curtis coming to our meeting
3. Jim's River Rats won in Glens Falls on Sunday. Also Jim has tickets for two games on Wednesdays. See him if you are interested.
DOOR PRIZE by Nancy Davis to be delivered at a later date, won by John Keiley
50/50 for $18.00 & won by Peg Weiss
MEGA 50/50 $20.00 with 52 cards left in the deck was not won by Jerry Tysiak as he pulled the Jack of Diamonds
NEXT WEEK: PROGRAM CHAIR: Bill Whipple
PROGRAM: “Someone from the Eddy to speak about something”
MARCH 23 PROGRAM CHAIR: Bruce Perry
INVOCATOR/GREETER/CERTIFICATE: Frank Breselor
MARCH 30 PROGRAM CHAIR: Archie Robinson
INVOCATOR/GREETER/CERTIFICATE: John Brownrigg
APRIL 6 PROGRAM CHAIR: Eve Ward
PROGRAM: Social Committee Update – Board Meeting Night
INVOCATOR/GREETER/CERTIFICATE: Bryce Cutler
APRIL 13 PROGRAM CHAIR: Bob Reiter
INVOCATOR/GREETER/CERTIFICATE: Bob Carpenter
APRIL 20 PROGRAM CHAIR: Botsy Rosenberger
INVOCATOR/GREETER/CERTIFICATE: Joe Cybulski
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Return to the HOME PAGE of the Kiwanis Club of Sand Lake Return to the VIEW SANDPIPERS PAGE