H E S
A N D P I P E R
THE KIWANIS CLUB OF SAND LAKE, INC.
THE KIWANIS CLUB OF SAND LAKE, INC.
Meets 6:30 PM
Mondays at The Lakeview Inn Restaurant
President James E. Rogers Secretary David E. Booker
President-Elect John Glasser Treasurer Robert S. Pasquarelli
Past Pres Chester A. Melius Sandpiper Editor Peg Weiss
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Jeffrey A. Lawrence, John C. Brownrigg, William M. Whipple
Joseph M. Behson, Robert R. Loveridge, Dudley A. Dorr
Theodore M. DeConno, Margaret R. Weiss, Eve M. Ward
Project for the day was rebuilding the shower house, which involved installing plywood walls, painting them, and getting the building ready for plumbing installation. Many hands made light work, so they said, and much progress was made. Some interesting observations:
Ken James and his bug-proof headgear, Bill Freeman and his rain-proof headgear,
Barb and Brownrigg painting plywood before it was installed (smart!), Eve efficiently presiding over the kitchen and dining room, with Kathy’s assistance, the rapidity (?) of that pressure gun nailing panels,
and something about KVP and Alison spending the afternoon in a shower stall (?) Most of us made it into the dining hall before the deluge came, but a few did not! Our grateful thanks to Kevin Smith for providing those fantastic strip steaks, cooked to perfection by John Glasser, along with roasted garlic buttered corn on the cob. Rounding out a great meal were baked potatoes, an array of salads, and desserts of Kevin’s strawberry short cake and Peter’s raspberry pies! So glad Barb found the coffee!
We did have a short meeting over which PRESIDENT-ELECT John Glasser presided, in the absence of President Jim Rogers. Glad to have Joe Grillo, Gerry Oestreich, and Joe Uline in the group again, and a happy welcome back after surgery to Kathy Evensen!
· Alison reported on the successful trip to Kamp Kiwanis last Saturday with Booker and Chet, delivering donations to their Wish List, painting, and even mowing the lawn!
· Thanks to Jeff for getting our SummerFest banner hung over Rt 43, with correct dates on BOTH sides this year!
· Reminder: 3-Division Picnic at Saratoga State Park this Saturday.
· KVP reminded the six SLKs who promised to attend Troy’s Prayer Breakfast tomorrow morning. Note: All 6 showed up: KVP, Booker, Guariniello, Rogers, Whipple & Weiss.
· Barb reminded of the Van Rensselaer Key Club Divisional this Thursday June 12th at Catholic Central High School from 7-8PM. Chet is going; all are welcome.
· Thanks to Eve for organizing SLKs to attend “Our Town” Sunday afternoon. It was well done.
· SummerFest contributions total $2950—make your calls THIS WEEK!
· Peg read a note received from former SLK Chet and Jackie Gavryck, thanking us for continuing to send them the Sandpiper, and bringing us up to date on their activities in their new home town of Middleburgh. CONGRATULATIONS TO CHET & JACKIE ON THEIR 50TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY ON JUNE 13TH!!
· A thank you note was received from the HOBY Award recipient.
· The Peace Pole is with the AP school district superintendent so principals may see it.
· Joel Uline, Rotary Staff Member and Work Superintendent, expressed his thanks to SLK for the work done tonight. The shower house replacement was a real emergency, as the old one was in dire disrepair!
· John Brownrigg requested all to publicize the child car seat inspections to be held at the new Sunoco station on Sunday afternoon of SummerFest. This is a courtesy and not punitive!
· SummerFest discussion on status of fireworks, ride contract, locations of Stewart’s ice cream stand and AP Fire Company’s booth, and need for CRAFTERS!
NEXT WEEK PROGRAM: Frank Breselor
JUNE 16 GREETER/INVOCATION/CERTIFICATE: Bruce Perry
JUNE 23 PROGRAM: Set up as needed at Butler Park after dinner @ Lakeview
JUNE 30 PROGRAM: R&R of some kind to be announced!
GREETER/INVOCATION/CERTIFICATE: Ken Van Praag
JULY 7 PROGRAM: Dudley Dorr
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
GREETER/INVOCATION/CERTIFICATE: Art Smith
SPIRITUAL THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK
“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’
Sydney J. Harris
“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” Will Rogers
“Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.”
Return to the HOME PAGE of the Kiwanis Club of Sand Lake Return to the VIEW SANDPIPERS PAGE