The Weekly membership newsletter of the
Kiwanis Club of Sand Lake, NY
P. O. Box 535, West Sand Lake, NY 12196
Meets 6:30 PM Mondays at The Lakeview Inn Restaurant
President Gerald Tysiak Secretary Peg Weiss
Vice President Gary Meislin Treasurer Robert S. Pasquarelli
Sandpiper Editor Jo Moccia Immediate Past Pres Joe Behson
Webmaster David E. Booker Photographer Jim Rogers
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Ray Turner, William Whipple
Bryce E. Cutler, Skip Patton, James E. Rogers
John C. Brownrigg, James M. Colabelli, Eve M. Ward
Club Bulletin Committee
Jo Moccia, Chair
Jim Colabelli Pat Lane
MEETING OF JUNE 22, 2009
PRESIDENT Gerald Tysiak presiding
GREETINGS & INVOCATION by Bob Reiter & Bob Pasquarelli
GUESTS: County Supervisor Kathy Jimino, Marion Hacker and Bill Keily
WELCOME BACK: Jim Colabelli
1. Sand Lake Library's annual Book Fair is Sat. June 27 from 11 - 2. Our food trailer will be there. Come and support our library.
2. Nancy W. Davis thanked our faithful Kiwanians who helped unload the Regional Food Bank truck at Doors of Hope last week. Those who worked so hard are Ken Van Praag, Bob Pasquarelli, Joe Behson, John Mulligan and Nancy W. Davis. ( Ed note: and there was one other that worked also but I can't read my own notes to say a proper " Thank You" to. )
3. Bloodmobile also at the Library on Saturday. If you can donate blood please show up and give.
4. Summerfest sponsorships need to be turned in by Monday, This date is important in order to get the publicity that our sponsors deserve
5. Alison Lashmet sent us a Thank You note for our donation that is enabling her to go to the International Key Club Convention in July in Dallas.
6. Kiwanis dues are due on July 1. Bring them in or send them to the Kiwanis mailing address. We would love to see your smiling faces.
7.Our annual Valley Cats game will be on Monday, July 27, Eve has only 4 tickets left. Call her if you want tickets.
8. North Greenbush Kiwanis is holding fundraiser for tickets for 2 seats to the HVCC Sky Box on July 27. Call Noreen if you want tickets to raffle.
9. If you have ordered Kiwanis shirts from Bob Pasquarelli they are in.
10. Check the Programs and Speaker listing. You may have designated slot in your name. Check with Skip Patton if you cannot make your commitment.
11. John Brownrigg will give Bob Reiter 80 packs of cards that fellow Kiwanians have donated and the cards will be shipped to Afghanistan for our soldiers.
PROGRAM : Joe Cybulski introduced Kath Jimino, Rensselaer County Executive.
She started by thanking Bob Pasquarelli and Dave Booker for volunteering with the seniors in our County to explain the Medicare Part d Programs when they came out. she spoke on the economy and how the stimulus programs will help us this year and next. There will be a Youth Employment Program this year that will employ up to 400 Rensselaer County youths from 14 to 24 who are in low income homes. Starting a coordinating program of all department that involve Human Services as the unemployment falls the needs in the Human Service areas are increased. Kathy also spoke on the need to have "shared services' especially in purchasing to save each town money that could be better spent on another necessity. This has been tried before but probably failed due to the people not understanding the way these programs would work. She also told us how the county is tracking the Swine Flu cases with the added help of the health department, hospitals, local doctors and the various school districts. To see what our county hs to offer check out the web page at www.Rensco.com.
$ Bob Reiter “Happy” because the Red Sox are in First Place by 4 games
$ Dave Booker “Happy” because he was fortunate to attend a once in a lifetime concert and because Peg Weiss is now reminding the club that dues were due and he didn't have to do it this year.
$ Skip Patton “Happy” to have spent Father's Day at Fenway Park watching his beloved Red Sox win 6-5 over the Braves.
$ Jim Colabelli “Happy” to have been to Atlanta to visit his son and also took trips to Savannah and Charleston. Visited his boyhood home in Beauford and toured Fort Sumter.
$ John Brownrigg “Happy” for going to a charity event a fishing tournament on Cape Cod where he caught 37 strippers and 4 bluefish including a 42 " bluefish. Also” Happy” because he also went to a charity golf tournament and his foursome came in first. And also “Happy” because he won a set of 4 tickets in the Subway Series between the Mets and the Yankees for Friday night. John also had a Sad Dollar because he has to go back to work.
$ Barb Fioravanti “Happy” because the Columbia HS Key Club had a very successful Ice Cream Social at the Goff Middle School to introduce the 8th graders to Key Club.
$ Woodie Hacker “Happy” to have both Kath Jimino and his beautiful wife Marion in the same room.
$ Nancy W. Davis. “Happy” for Kathy's program and to congratulate Kathy on her two month old grandson.
$ Joe Cybulski “Happy” for Kathy's program and for having Marion Hacker with us tonight.
$ Kathy Jimino “Happy” to have the most beautiful grandson ever born.
$ Jerry Tysiak “Happy” that his daughter's wedding on Saturday went beautifully. Jerry even got a little choked up telling of it.
Bill Whipple “Happy” to have had a good Father's Day. He even got to
watch his son John editing the photos of Jerry's daughter's wedding.
DOOR PRIZE was won by Gary Meislin; eyebrows were raised when Garry drew the ticket to determine the 50/50 winner.
50/50 for $23.00 it turned out that it was won by John Mulligan, who, at diner, sat directly across the table from President designate Gary.
After pocketing the cash John drew the ticket for the MEGA 50/50; imagine the raised eyebrows when it was learned that our President designate held the other half of the winning ticket. So with 39 cards left and $194.00 in the pot Gary picked out his card and raised every eyebrow when he showed the head table the King of Clubs. Congratulations, Gary. So next week we are back to 52 cards and $20.00. (And calls for an audit will go unanswered.)
NEXT WEEK June 29 Program Chair: Ron Wagner
Program: "The Other Joe Cybulski
Greeter/Invocator/Certificate: Archie Robinson
July 6 Program Chair: Jerry Tysiak
Program: Pre Summerfest meeting
Greeter/Invocator/Certificate: Jim Stacy
July 13 Program Chair: Jerry Tysiak
Program: Post Summerfest meeting
Greeter/Invocator/Certificate: Ray Turner
July 20 Program Chair: Social Committee
Program: Annual Member/Guest Picnic
July 27 Annual Tri City Valley Cats Outing
August 3 Program Chair: Joe Behson
Program: Youth Services Committee Update
Greeter/Invocator/Certificate: Joe Behson
SPIRITUAL THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: Two things a man should never be angry at:
what he can help, and what he cannot help.
Return to the HOME PAGE of the Kiwanis Club of Sand Lake Return to the VIEW SANDPIPERS PAGE