The Weekly membership newsletter of the
Kiwanis Club of Sand Lake, NY
P. O. Box 535, West Sand Lake, NY 12196
Meets 6:30 PM Mondays at The Lakeview Inn Restaurant
President Gerald Tysiak Secretary Peg Weiss
Vice President Gary Meislin Treasurer Robert S. Pasquarelli
Sandpiper Editor Jo Moccia Immediate Past Pres Joe Behson
Webmaster David E. Booker Photographer Jim Rogers
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Ray Turner, William Whipple
Bryce E. Cutler, Skip Patton, James E. Rogers
John C. Brownrigg, James M. Colabelli, Eve M. Ward
Club Bulletin Committee
Jo Moccia, Chair
Jim Colabelli Pat Lane
PRESIDENT Gerald Tysiak presiding
GREETINGS & INVOCATION by Gary Meislin
WELCOME BACK: Peg Weiss
WELCOME GUESTS: Of Jim Rogers; Joane Rogers, of Joe Benson; Margarett Krolick
ANNOUNCEMENTS: 1) SLK is looking for spare bottles of booze for Booker’s Hospitality Suite on Thursday evening at the District Convention. Please deliver to Dave or Pres. Jerry and they will take care of them. 2) A Divisional Dinner is being planned in downtown Albany on Friday evening, August 21st. . Lt. Gov Elect Noreen tells Pres. Jerry that 30 people have responded. She is working on the restaurant site.
3) Dave Booker; Tailgate party & stage performance at the New Lebanon Theater Barn on Saturday, Aug. 29th. The tailgate party starts at 3:30 PM and the
matinee show starts at 5:00 PM. “ Dirty Rotton Scoundrels” is the main attraction. The tickets are $22.00 apiece. Call Dave Booker if you are interested.
4) Nancy Davis; Thank You to all who showed up to unload food at the Doors of hope on Fri. Aug. 7th. Sign up sheets are being circulated for unloading of food at the Doors of Hope on Tues. Aug. 18th at 9:00 AM and for a Blood Drive at The Church of The Covenant on Aug. 25th at 12:30 PM. Please sign up! The Sand Lake Historical Society is requesting SLKC set-up and operate the food trailer at the Antique Appraisal Day on Sat., Sept. 26th , 2009. The event will be at Miller Hill School from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
5) Pres Jerry; Peg Weiss was called forward to receive her 10 year perfect attendance pin. Congratulations Peg! Jim Stacy’s daughter Kay-Leigh presented a check for $175 to the club to be used for the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. This represents 18% of what was made doing the Soccer Clinic. Thank you Kay-Leigh. We also received a thank you note from Project Stride from Barbara Hansen for all the support they received from SlKC. Barbara Fiorvanti was especially thanked for all of her hard work at this event.
6) Joe Cybulski; Don,t miss Sand Lake Kiwanis “free” Sunday Summertime concerts in Butler Park. Joe thanked Bill Whipple for his hard work at advertising of “April Marie and Friends” concert this past Sunday. Next week “Tri City Brass” will perform at 6:00 PM
7) Eve; The Lobster & Steak roast will take place at Camp Rotary on Mon. Aug. 21st at 6:00 PM . Call Eve to see what is needed.
8)IPP Joe; Youth Soccer and the food trailor will begin the 1st Sun. after Labor Day.
PROGRAM CHAIR: Lt. Gov. Jim Rogers for Frank Breselor
PROGRAM: Joe’s Kiwanis Year was professionally presented to the club in pictorial review by Jim Rogers in power point form and projected on screen for all to see. Jim was able to capture the essence of IPP Joe’s productive year as our leader. It was very enjoyable to see all that had transpired during the past year with all the events in our busy year. Thank you Jim for a great presentation of Joe Behson’s Presidential
$ Lt Gov. Jim Rogers; Happy for wife Joanne’s presence at tonight’s meeting and for all the help he received from Gov. Elect Dave Booker with tonight’s program
$Eve; Happy that she was able to listen to Tim Jansen’s music during the pictorial program.
$IPP Joe Behson; Happy for Margaret’s presence tonight and for the Yankee’s clean sweep. (Editor’s note) Remember! The Fat Lady has not yet sung!
$Kevin Sarsfield; Happy that he was able to participate in the Kiwanis Golf Tournament. Kiwanians came in 2nd place and raised close to $700.
$Joe Cybulski; Happy for Bill Whipple’s hard work advertising on the Kiwanis sign for Music in the Park and for the birthday event he was able to attend in Atlantic City, N. J.
$KVP; So sorry for so many Red Sox Fans being sad. But yet at the same time being happy that Fat Lady is getting ready to sing.
$Barb Fioravanti; Happy that her brother Wes Kussmaul will be coming to present next week’s program.
$Bob Loveridge; Happy for his God Son turning the legal age on 8-8-09 and was able to savor his 1st beer at Yankee Stadium and for the Yankee’s win. Bob was also happy for Jim Stacy’s daughter Kay-Leigh’s check to the Pediatric Intensive Care Program.
$Bill Whipple; Went to the Indian Pow Wow in Stephentown this past Sat. Happy that he saw Bob Ryder participating in the event wearing his Viet Nam Jacket. Bill was also happy for all the work that Joe Cybuski does so that Music in The Park can take place.
$Sec. Peg Weiss; Happy that she is back home from visiting her family in the South.
$Pres. Elect Gary; Happy for the great time he had at the Summerfest Picnic.
$Pres Jerry; Happy that Gary is smiling.
DOOR PRIZE: One dinner won by John Mulligan.
50/50 worth $20.00 won by Peg Weiss.
MEGA 50/50 $86.50 with 48 cards remaining. Card drawn by: Peg Weiss. She drew the 8 of Hearts and sadly not a winner. Maybe next time.
NEXT WEEK AUGUST 17
PROGRAM CHAIR: Barbara Fioravanti
PROGRAM: Wes Kussmaul on Internet Security
GREETER/INVOCATOR/CERTIFICATE: Jo Moccia
AUGUST 24: No meeting - Annual Steak & Lobster Feed at BSA Camp Rotary
AUGUST 31: PROGRAM CHAIR - Joe Grillo
PROGRAM - Consumer protection and the utilities
INVOCATOR/GREETER/CERTIFICATE - KVP
SEPTEMBER 7: No meeting Labor Day
SEPTEMBER 14: PROGRAM CHAIR - Joe Behson
PROGRAM - Futures Committee Report
INVOCATOR/GREETER/CERTIFICATE - TBA
SEPTEMBER 21: PROGRAM CHAIR - Fred Wurtemberger
PROGRAM - John Mulligan: Dredging of the Hudson River
INVOCATOR/GREETER/CERTIFICATE - Bruce Perry
SEPTEMBER 28: PROGRAM CHAIR - Nancy Davis
PROGRAM - Gail DeMarco, League of Women Voters -
Fall election/voting machine update
INVOCATOR/GREETER/CERTIFICATE - Kevin Sarsfield
OCTOBER 5: PROGRAM CHAIRS - President Jerry & President-designate Gary
PROGRAM - 60th Installation of Club Officers & Directors
INVOCATOR/GREETER/CERTIFICATE - TBA
SPIRITUAL THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but how many can get through you. Mortimer J Adler
Return to the HOME PAGE of the Kiwanis Club of Sand Lake Return to the VIEW SANDPIPERS PAGE