T H E S A N D P I P E R
The weekly newsletter of
THE KIWANIS CLUB OF SAND LAKE, INC.
P.O. Box 535, West Sand Lake, NY 12196
Celebrating 50 years of Community Service
PRESIDENT Dick Johnsen SECRETARY Art Smith
PRESIDENT-ELECT Jeff Lawrence TREASURER Bob Pasquarelli
VICE PRESIDENT SANDPIPER EDITOR Peg Weiss
MEETING OF May 8, 2000.
Annual Meeting and Election of Club Officers and Directors
INVOCATIONby Dudley Dorr
GUEST: of Ray Loveridge, prospective member Dave Roesch.Dave, who lives in Troy with his wife Lynn , can be found 7 days a week at Heathers Cafe in the 43 Mall, which he owns.
Dave Roesch is shown painting at Butler Park during the recent work night
WELCOME BACK: Ken VanPraag from Florida & Angelo Patti from Girl Scouts
1) CROP Walk successful, 200 walkers raised $18,000 in Rensselaer Co; please honor your pledges.
2) Blood Screening this Sat @ APHS; SLKs who scheduled to work shifts:
5:45 AM: Dorr, Guariniello, James, Loveridge, Pierce, Smith, Trupia, VanPraag
8:00 AM: Besch, Freeman, Guyer, MaLossi, Pasquarelli, Trupia, Uline, Wagner, Weiss
3) Circle Theatre Players to present unusual comedies next two weekends; call 674-3719 for reservations.
4) DIVISION COUNCIL Thursday at Best Western in Troy.
5) Next week SPOUSES NIGHT program on Holy Land by Rev Gary Dickson, assisted by Peg Weiss; signup sheet passed or call Dudley by Thurs 674-3541.
6) DIVISION GOLF OUTING Sat May 20 @ Burden Lake CC, tee times 11 AM on. $20 for golf & dinner; dinner only $15 about 4:30 PM. We need door prizes!
7) May 22 SPOUSES NIGHT program by Jim Colabelli and Hendrick Hudson Male Chorus; signup sheet passed.
8) ADOPT-A-HIGHWAY Sat May 20 with Key Club; meet at Old Journeys End Hotel at 9 AM, should finish before noon.
9) YOUTH COFFEEHOUSE this Sat May 13 @ AP Firehouse; need help 10-12M.
10) Invitation from Ticonderoga Kiwanis for GOLF OUTING Thurs June 8.
11) DUES still in arrears by several SLKs; almost all paid up.
12) HABITAT house to be dedicated June 3; Bob Pasquarelli needs help on May 13 & 21 to finish electrical work.
13) Invitation from Lt Perry Williams Post VFW to participate in SAND LAKE MEMORIAL DAY PARADE Mon May 29 starting 9:30 AM. March? Float? Convertible? Peanuts? SLK will definitely provide wreath.
14) SUMMERFEST meeting tonight following regular meeting.
15) MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE to interview prospective member tonight.
PROGRAM - ANNUAL MEETING
John Glasser presented ballots for election of officers and directors for 2000-2001 fiscal year,
2000-01 Sand Lake Kiwanis Club Officers and Directors
Left to right: Immediate Past President Dick Johnsen, Director Dudley Dorr, Secretary Art Smith, Treasurer Bob Pasquarelli,
Director Bill Whipple, Director Jim Spath, Director Ken James, Director Ron Wagner, President Jeff Lawrence and
Vice-President Jim Rogers. Absent Directors Joe Trupia and Dick MaLossi.
and the following were elected:
PRESIDENT Jeff Lawrence PRES ELECT no nominee
VICE PRESIDENT Jim Rogers TREASURER Bob Pasquarelli
BOARD OF DIRECTORS: Dudley Dorr, Ken James, Dick MaLossi, Jim Spath, Joe Trupia, Ron Wagner, Bill Whipple
HAPPY $ FROM
Joe Uline: met new great grandson and great granddaughter on my way home
KVP, $5: blow to head didn't harm shelf; no one won the BIG 50/50 while I was in FL; saw rocket launches 3 years in a row; thanks for everyone's help with 50th Anniversary gala; gratitude for receiving Hixon Medal.
Ken James: finally got my turkey last week!
Clayton: sang with Mormon Tabernacle Choir in Salt Lake City, and the roof's still up there!
Pres Dick: played tennis in Czech Republic with 17 year old world class pro--no contest!
John Glasser: Town of SL received grants, 175K for highways, 50K for library, 25K for Butler Park, 500K for athletic fields!
Joe Distell: glad my battered neighbor Ken is back; last year he came home with swollen eyes, and this year a bash on the head!
DOOR PRIZE, dinner next week, to Bill Whipple
50-50 for $27 to Joe Uline
MEGA 50-50 for $349 *ALMOST* to Art Smith, 3 of hearts
NEXT WEEK: Program - Dick MaLossi - SPOUSES NIGHT
Rev Gary Dickson, Israel
Invocation - Joe Distell
Certificate/Greeter - Gary Meislin
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Dear ED: I'm a relatively new member of SLK. We just elected officers, but didn't we forget a secretary? And when do these guys take over? RNM
Dear RNM: Club members elect all officers and directors except the secretary, who is appointed by the new president. The new term of office begins on October 1, 2000, and all will be installed by the lieutenant governor of the Van Rensselaer Division, on a date at his/her convenience. Between now and their formal installation, officers and directors are in a preparatory situation, and their titles are followed by "-designate".
SPIRITUAL THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK
"Duty is a very personal thing. It is what comes from knowing the need to take action and not just a need to urge others to do something." Mother Teresa
Return to View Sandpipers Page Return to the Sand Lake Kiwanis Home Page